The Stamps I Use

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Playing around with Shrinky Dinks

Hi folks,

well today I played around in my craft room with Shrinky Dinks. I guess I had a somewhat deprived childhood growing up on the coast of Newfoundland as I never heard of Shrinky Dinks until I was well into my adulthood. I never ever played with them until today.

Here's the full story about why I was playing with them today.

Just before Christmas 2011, I rejoined a weight-loss group in which I had been a member YEARS ago. Well, every week, recognition is given to, of course, the weekly best loser and runner up. But we also honour those who stayed the same (neither up nor down in their weight). We call this "being a turtle" and the weight room girls usually give the "turtles" a little turtle pin or ribbon or some such. Well, finding little turtle pins gets to be difficult so I asked our executive if they would like for me to try my hand and making a little something.

I was thinking of the Shrinky Dinks I had bought a while back (for something I never did, not sure what it was) and had found while reorganizing my craft room. I thought to myself that I should try stamping some of my turtle stamps on the Shrinky Dinks and making little charms that we could give to our weekly "turtles".

Well I have to say that I am quite pleased with the results. I haven't gone out to get the jewelry findings to turn these into charms yet but....I just had to share the pictures I have taken of the process so far.

Are you ready? There's lots! The photos tell the story of what I used:

Ruff 'n Ready Shrinky Dinks with Stazon Jet Black Ink (and of course Stazon cleaner to get my stamps back to looking good after the inking).



First batch with Tommy the Turtle from the Aqua Amigos collection from PaperWorksCo (sadly, Peggy closed up shop at the start of this year but you never know, if you don't have Tommy and want him she MIGHT still have some stock lying around if you contact her).


I used my Prismacolor pencils to colour the images then die cut them out with Spellbinders. Note to self - probably better to diecut the circles first, then stamp and colour the images. Might get more out of a page.


Be sure to use a hole punch to put a hole for the jump ring before you put these guys in the oven!


After a quick minute or two in the ove - there you have them!




Aren't they cute? A couple of them are different because I wasn't paying attention as I coloured...oh well.




Second batch with the turtle from the "Down by the Pond" set from The Greeting Farm. This set is retired but you CAN still find it online if you look for retailers who carry stamps from TGF.





Now, while both sets of charms are cute - very cute if I do say so myself - I think that Tommy the Turtle is my favourite.  Once I get the charms finished up I'll post additional photos. My plan is to attach jump rings so I can attach a ribbon which has been stamped with a punny "turtle" saying. The sentiments for the Aqua Amigos included two which I think will work nicely "Let's shellabrate!" and "Turtely happy for you!". I'm hoping I can combine some stamp sets to make a "Turtley amazing!", "Turtely fantastic!" or "Turtely awesome!" ribbons as well. I'm open to other suggestions if you would like to leave a comment!

1 comment:

RiNNE said...

I need to make these! I've been meaning to for years! Yours turned out soo cute! I can't wait to see the finished products!